Monday, April 21, 2014

You're a loner, Dot. A rebel.


My boyfriend's dog Dot isn't crazy about me. It isn't anything personal, she's just a slow warmer. I think if I were a dog I'd be the kind of dog that would gladly let you inside to rob the house as long as you scratched me behind the ears. I would be eager but completely untrustworthy. Dot is the opposite. She doesn't vie for your approval. If she were a human she be secure enough to not have a facebook page.

Dot is a mixture of a whippet and a mountain cur which means she looks like a little greyhound. Her small frame and large chest means she's in between sizes, and the sweater she wears to control her impressive amount of hair fits her in a way that makes her look like an elegant lady in a batwing sweater she bought from Ann Taylor. Oftentimes she seems wary or aloof. I can occasionally win her over with a treat (and I can always win her over with her leash), but even then she usually just sniffs me, more cautious than enthusiastic.

I don't think it is that she doesn't like me, I think it is just that she doesn't like anyone as much as she loves David. She's loyal and devoted. She's listens excitedly when he talks. She happily curls next to him on the couch. She misses him terribly when he leaves and I can definitely relate. Also, her adoption profile said she likes chickens and doesn't care for guns. The fact that we have all of that in common makes me optimistic about our relationship.

I'm not sure I'll ever totally win her over. Maybe after a few long summer walks she'll change her mind about me, but for now it is cool. She's a good dog, she's her own dog, and I can appreciate that. It makes me like her even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment