Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Easiest Ombre Knitting Technique

 

How do you feel about variegated yarn? It wasn't always my thing. Yarn with too many crazy color variations just looked too flashy. I liked the variety of colors and shades while it was in hank or skein form, but once it got knit up it would look so funky I'd just be overwhelmed. But still, I loved the look in theory, the pretty shades that moved from light to dark creating such a nice contrast. I just needed a way to tone it down a little.

Enter two of my favorite things: gray and stripes. Through a little experimenting I realized that by alternately single rows of a solid color with a more complex colorway I'd end up with a really pretty ombre that showed off the subtle variations in the yarn. Easy trick, but I love the result.

I made the mitts above on a loom, following another video tutorial by Tuteate. (She used a 3 color stripe pattern, while I just stuck with two). I used Patons Classic Wool Roving in Natural and Patons ColorWul in Jardin. The one caveat is this technique works best if you're knitting in the round or on a loom. Trying this technique on straight needles would require you to carry yarn up both sides of your work, which would be a little more difficult.

So that's my cheater ombre/toned down variegated yarn, and now my hands are nice and warm. What about you, does anybody else have any color tips to share?

P.S. The loom knitting tag on Instagram has been going crazy. I think this might officially be a #trend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment